Sunday, April 29, 2007

race recap

Sun 4.29.07
6:30 am
OKC Half Marathon
1:22:45, 6:19/mile, avg hr 175
Great race!
Started off a little too far back, boxed in and such, ended up with a ~6:35 first mile, but then was able to get on a guy's shoulder and move through the crowd pretty quickly. Dropped a "fast group" with a 5:50 on mile 4 and then held on strong to outkick a guy at the finish line. I certainly felt the "dead spot" where it seems a little too fast and you start asking yourself too many questions, but I was able to rebound nicely during the last 3 miles. I was passed once after mile 9 and couldn't catch him - he definitely negative split. I was taking in a sip of something at most of the aid stations, usually just whatever somebody handed me. All in all, a great race!

The drive home was the epitome of what I want my life to be...drive home from a great race with my beautiful wife, call my coach who encourages me on what I can do and instruct me on the plan for this week, get home to our perfect apartment with our little family (Caesar included).

Adie ran a 5:05:02 in the marathon on limited training - her farthest long run was only 16 and she didn't run much in the last 5 weeks other than a strong week with 4, 6, 8, and 16 two weeks before the race. She ran strong through 17, then had to slow down through 19, then run/walked it all the way in. I'm so proud of her!

What a great weekend!

No comments: