Saturday, September 29, 2007

but even if he doesn't...

"Your threat means nothing to us. If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if He doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up."

I want to believe like that. I want to know that God has the power and strength to do anything. That even if he chooses not to help, it in no way reflects my faith in him. But even if He doesn't...

I believe I have the abilities and the mental strength to be the best. I remember running to the FLC each day, shooting, running more, pushups and situps, running back, working harder and longer than anyone else. I remember tapping the sign leaving the Tascosa freshman locker room - "Mental Toughness + Super D =" I remember pushing harder than anyone else. I remember the little slip of paper that hung inside my bathroom cabinet - "All right, Mister, let me tell you what winning means. It means you're willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else." I remember basketball practice, and the Strength Shoe workout, and then mowing, and then track practice. I remember giving more than anyone else. I remember a lot of pent up aggression at life. I remember pursuing life with a reckless abandon. I want to make new memories now of going longer, working harding, and giving more than anyone else. I want to be a winner. I want God to give me the strength and wisdom to be all that he has gifted me to be. But even if he doesn't...

No comments: